Friday, 15 May 2015

My Picot Blanket

I am working on a blanket at the moment which seems to be all the rage in the crochet world. It is the My Picot 4025 from www.mypicot.com

It is a very pleasing pattern which will not need to have a border added as it automatically creates a scalloped edge on every second row.

It also works up quite quickly and creates a really interesting design when worked in two or more colours. 

I have used five different colours in mine from the Stylecraft Special DK range; 
Lime, Teal, Claret, Cream & Plum.

I got a pack of eleven 100g balls of DK for only €25 in The Little Wool Shop in Old Baker St, Thurles, Co Tipperary. You can choose any eleven 100g balls of DK in the colours that you like for that price.



Have a look at the photo below and see what you think.

I had some difficulty making sense of the written pattern as it was giving both UK & US terms at the same time so I took some time to re-write it in just UK terms to make it easier to follow. 

I also changed the beginning to something that, to me, provided a stronger central section and a start that would be very familiar to the beginning of a basic granny square pattern.

As of yet I am unsure how large I will make this piece as I have two 100g balls of each colour and a third ball of cream to do the last few rounds and provide a frame for this colourful creation.

Why not try and make your own? 
I have put my version of the pattern at the bottom of this post and I have also provided a link to the original version just below it.

Send me your photos as I would love to see them. 
 

My Picot Blanket (My own version)

Round 1,
Ch4 and sl st to make a loop, ch4 (this is your first tr + ch1), Working into the loop, make (tr, ch1) 7 times. Sl st into the third ch of the beginning ch4 (this is the first tr + ch1). (8tr + 8 ch1 spaces made)
Round 2,
Ch1, (dc into the next ch1 sp, make 7tr into the next ch1 sp) 4 times. Sl st into the beginning dc. Fasten off.
Round 3,
CHANGE COLOUR. Join yarn to the dc where you have just made your sl st, Ch4 (this is your first tr + ch1) and working into the same dc, tr, ch3, tr, ch1 tr; then ch5, into the NEXT DC (tr, ch1, tr, ch3, tr, ch1, tr then ch5) 3 times. Sl st into the third ch of the beginning ch4.
Round 4:
Sl st into the ch1 sp, ch3, 6tr into the same ch1 sp, dc into the ch3 sp, 7tr into the next ch1 sp, (dc into the fourth tr of the 7tr fan below *making sure to trap the ch5 from round 3 with the dc*, 7tr into the next ch1 sp, dc into the ch3 sp, 7tr into the next ch1 sp) 3 times, dc in the fourth tr of the 7tr fan below, *making sure to trap the ch5 from round 3 with the dc*. Sl st to the beginning ch3.
Round 5:
CHANGE COLOUR. Join yarn to any dc made into a 7tr fan, ch4, tr into the same dc, ch5, into the NEXT DC (tr, ch1, tr, ch3, tr, ch1, tr, then ch5, Into the NEXT DC tr, ch1, tr, ch5) 4 times, omitting the last tr, ch1, tr, ch5 in the fourth repeat. Sl st into the third ch of the beginning ch4.
Round 6:
Sl st into the ch1 sp, ch3, 6tr into the same ch1 sp, (dc into the fourth tr of the 7tr fan below *making sure to trap the ch5 from round 3 with the dc*, 7tr into the next ch1 sp, dc into the ch3 sp, 7tr into the next ch1 sp, dc into the fourth tr of the 7tr fan below *making sure to trap the ch5 from round 3 with the dc*, 7tr into the next ch1 sp) 4 times, omitting the last 7tr into the next ch1 sp in the fourth repeat. Sl st to the beginning ch3. Fasten off.


Continue as per pattern, remembering to put (tr, ch1, tr) between fans on the straight edges and put (tr, ch1, tr, ch3, tr, ch1, tr) between the fans ON THE CORNERS ONLY.  

To go to the original pattern at www.mypicot.com please CLICK HERE

3 comments:

  1. I shall be giving your version a go. I recently started one of these and abandoned it as mine is distinctly wavy and it started to wave very early on. It was showing no signs of laying flatter as it grew :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shelagh,
      I often find that some of my crochet students have the same problem when large blankets. Sometimes when doing the first few rounds of a new pattern, some people find their tension is quite tight and it relaxes as you progress, so maybe this is what's happening to you. When you find its starting to flare a bit you could try going down a hook size to adjust the more relaxed tension.
      Why not give it a shot and see how you get on.

      Delete
    2. Hi Shelagh,
      I often find that some of my crochet students have the same problem when large blankets. Sometimes when doing the first few rounds of a new pattern, some people find their tension is quite tight and it relaxes as you progress, so maybe this is what's happening to you. When you find its starting to flare a bit you could try going down a hook size to adjust the more relaxed tension.
      Why not give it a shot and see how you get on.

      Delete